According to the source “91mobiles” has announced that it has obtained leaked information about Qualcomm’s next SoC Snapdragon 875. Please note that the leak information is emailed by 91mobiles readers and is only “rumor” level information.
The codename Snapdragon 875 is called “SM8350”. This is not related to the fact that the snapdragon 865 codename is “SM8250”.
It is not clear at this time how much power the Snapdragon 875 will power up from the current snapdragon 865.
Snapdragon 875 with 5nm process
What bothered me about 91mobiles is that Qualcomm Snapdragon 875 supports the 5nm process.
The Snapdragon 865 has a manufacturing process of 7nm, and the 6nm manufacturing process for other chipsets is the latest in the manuscript. With the Snapdragon 875, you can expect dramatic performance and graphics performance improvements if you’re flying 6nm and suddenly responding to a 5nm manufacturing process.
The Snapdragon 875 has also been leaked with a new chip modem, the X60 5G. However, it is not clear whether the Snapdragon 875’s 5G modem will be an optional or a cuddle sale.
The previous Snapdragon 865 was only for selling in combination with an X55 5G chip modem. This seems to have contributed to the price increase of SoC, which led to a decline in sales volume. Based on this reflection, the Snapdragon 875 may have a 5G modem on a selective basis.
Nevertheless, 5G-compatible smartphones are becoming more popular in China since the beginning of 2020. Even under the influence of the new coronavirus, sales are growing rapidly through online sales. 5G service has been launched in Japan, and the area is expected to expand in the future.
The leaked specifications of Snapdragon 875 follows
- Kryo 685 CPU built on Arm v8 Cortex tech
- 3G/4G/5G modem –Millimeter wave (mmWave) and sub-6 GHz bands
- Adreno 660 GPU
- Adreno 665 VPU
- Adreno 1095 DPU
- Qualcomm Secure Processing Unit (SPU250)
- Spectra 580 image-processing engine
- Snapdragon Sensors Core Technology
- External 802.11ax, 2×2 MIMO, and Bluetooth Milan
- Compute Hexagon DSP with Hexagon Vector eXtensions and Hexagon Tensor Accelerator
- Quad-channel package-on-package (PoP) high-speed LPDDR5 SDRAM
- Low-power audio subsystem combined with Aqstic Audio Technologies WCD9380 and WCD9385 audio codec
Compared to when the Snapdragon 865 was launched, the demand for chipsets with 5G modems should be growing. So, instead of the aforementioned selection system, Qualcomm may continue to sell its 5G modem on the Snapdragon 875.
Personally, I think that it might be good to have all high-end-class SoCs with 5G modems, and i think that only the middle class and lower SoCs are sufficient for a 5G modem selection system.
As usual, snapdragon 875 will be announced around December. However, due to the effects of the new coronavirus, the announcement could be backed down.
- Qualcomm announces Snapdragon XR2 for 5G-connected AR, VR devices
- Qualcomm discloses specs of Snapdragon 865 and 765 SoCs
- Qualcomm announces Snapdragon 7c and 8c in its tech summit